"The first bean to bar chocolate I ever tasted was my own— and I'm sure it was really bad. But I thought it was so exciting, so amazing, that I wanted to keep doing it instantly."-Mackenzie Rivers, Founder of Map Chocolate
Mackenzie Rivers is the founder, owner, and sole chocolate maker behind Map Chocolate, based in Oregon, USA. For the last half decade she's been "pushing that $50 forward" to build her dream company and pursure her many projects. Bursting with a million creative ideas but just two hands, her recent ventures include chocolate making workshops, a new retail space, and craft chocolate pantry goods.
Map Chocolate's become quite well-known on Instagram for its gorgeous and real looks at what it's like to make chocolate for a living (plus do the accounting, cleaning, retail, etc.). I'm incredibly grateful to Mackenzie for taking time out of her busy schedule to chat with me about her unique journey to becoming a chocolate maker & solopreneur, starting at home. I hope you enjoy listening to this interview as much as I enjoyed doing it.
Note that the topic of home chocolate making plays heavily in my questions thanks to the podcast episode for which I was interviewing Mackenzie.
View this post on Instagram
Mackenzie posing with her first full bag of cacao beans!
Topics We Cover
- Chocolate awards systems
- How Mackenzie got into chocolate making and purposefully pushes herself in directions of flavor seasonality & creative design
- What drives her through tough times and motivates her to continue growing her business
- Interacting with some of the thousands of chocolate makers all around the world while working for John Nanci
- Struggles of being a chocolate maker at different levels of the industry
- Mackenzie's dream job
- Putting your own perspective into your chocolate
Connect With Mackenzie & Map
Map Chocolate's Website.
Map Chocolate on Instagram.
Connect With Chocolate On The Road
On Instagram: @chocolateontheroad
On Facebook: @chocolateontheroad
Show music is Roadtrip by Phil Reavis, and our transition music is We’re Gonna Be Around by People Like Us & Sweet Dreams by Lobo Loco.
To listen to the previous episode, click here.